Questions about failed disk on a perc3

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Mar 14 23:32:19 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, J. Epperson wrote:

> On Mon, March 14, 2005 6:15 pm, Hank said:
>> I had the *exact same thing* happen to me on a PE2550 with an 18GB
>> drive on Perc 3di.
>>
>> I also would like to hear an answer to this question.  I rebuilt the
>> array on the "failed" drive, and it's been working fine since (three
>> weeks now).  I am ordering a replacement drive, just in case, though.
>>
>> -Hank
>>
> I've been through this with more than one RAID, most recently on an old
> P6300 with a PERC2.  The disk is failing and will go for good at some
> point--my last one went two months before the next "failure", rebuilt
> again, then failed horribly and would not spin up again.  Replace it.

look at the number of GROWN defects on the drive (i think steve boley
posted the command for this a couplle of days ago)

if the value is >=1 then you have a drive that is going to fail.
i think the chances of failure are directly proportional to the
number of grown defects you start seeing.

regards,

-jason