2650 + new BIOS + 2.6.10-ac11 and it *still* crashes

Mark Plaksin happy at usg.edu
Mon Mar 14 18:57:49 CST 2005

Running a 2.6 kernel on a 2650 led to crashes on several machines so we
followed others and upgraded all the firmware and started running
2.6.10-ac11.  That looked great for a while but now we can get the machine
to die in less than a day.

Once it dies, everything continues to work *except* reading and writing to
disk.  The web server will respond and serve pages as long as they're in
RAM.  I don't have the kernel messages from the start of the craziness
(screen and the RAC-via-telnet have a strange interaction I haven't figured
out yet).  The last message just repeats over an over:
  scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device

We've tried 2.6.11 and gotten similar results.

It sounded like everybody had luck with 2.6.10-ac11 but maybe I missed
something.  Is anybody running a 2.6 kernel on a 2650 with success?  Which
kernel is it?

Thanks!