Questions about failed disk on a perc3

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Mon Mar 14 14:27:52 CST 2005

I have here a server (pe1500) with a perc3 scsi card. There are 2 18 gig
disks in raid 1 (mirroring). The server has been running for more than 3
years.

Last friday a disk declared itself failed, I no longer had access to this
disk. After a power cycle and add / remove of the disk, I was able to
rebuild the array while waiting for a replacement disk.

Now for my question: If I was able to access the disk and rebuild the array,
what does triggers a disk to be marked as failed and trigger the alarm ? Is
it "risky" to re-build the array on a previously failed disk ?

Nicolas