Problem Serial console with Redhat Enterprise Version 3.

Dmitriy Beloslyudtsev beloslyu1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:30:21 CST 2005

Hi!

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:27:13 -0600, Daniel Schrock
<daniel.schrock at sekoworldwide.com> wrote:
> Kernel messages display just fine, then the display stops after init
> until the login prompt appears.
> no boot messages at all, yet if I use 'service' to stop/start/restart
> while logged into the console, the messages display just fine.

It explains everything. The kernel itself can "duplicate" the output to
both places, the serial console, and the first VTY.
When kernel boot is done and init process gets the control, it can''t send its
ouput to both places and chooses to send it to only one place -- VTY.
We have exactly the same situation here, with PXE boot we have in tftp config
something like this:
append root=/dev/md0 noapic console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8

Dima