FYI: Oh how I wish, how I wish for PE a64 servers - And a question on Xen the Virtualizing Engine on a PE2650

Ricardo, Gerson gricardo at gableseng.com
Thu Mar 10 14:38:48 CST 2005

K,

Aye, I chose the HPQ 4-way line more because of their singular array
controllers that give spectacular I/O's compared to anything else I saw.
SmartArray controllers, as they're called still have DEC labelled ASIC's on
them - a company all us old techies are endeared to - but I guess this isn't
the place for such talk given that it *is* the Dell PE-Linux forum.  About
the Dell-AMD thing: I guess we (the global PE consumers) need to make allot
of noise about a64 on Dell branded boxes to have anything happen.  We
supposedly are non-existent group according to Dell branded publicized
research.  The claim is that such a small minority is requesting PE Opterons
that it isn't even on their radar - the ever stalling "It's being
considered" party line is issued incessantly.  I know of one company in
particular that pressed Dell enough to have them ship Newisys Opteron HW
under a Dell maintenance contract.  I may be forced to do the same, if
possible.

What does bother me, however, is that sometimes they falsely state that
Xeons are globally faster than Opterons  - showing obscure portions of
benchmarks in Power Point presentations instead of stepping back and showing
the whole picture as it is.  With this tactic Dell Marketing has claimed
that the hundreds of independent reviewers throughout these years that have
reviewed the Opteron and A64 processor are simply and totally wrong.  This
saddens me to a great extent as I always had in mind Dell as a forward
thinking company - one not wrought with hidden agreements in similar spirit
to the one which started WWI all those years ago.  I expected these types
antics from more globally obfuscated companies, certainly not from the Dell
I knew.

But what do we know, eh?  We're just customers anyway.  Alas, so much for
going the extra mile for customers - I guess the heroin like funding that
Intel provides Dell with that 'mystery agreement' is simply too sweet a
ambrosia to let go.

More in line with the PE-Linux group: has anyone run Xen (any on any *nix
version) on PE2650 based systems?  If so, what has been your result?  How
well does it work with Hyper Threading enabled?

Thanks all for listening,

Cordially,

-Gerson Ricardo
Gables Engineering, Inc