Fedora Core 3 / PowerEdge 1800 Screen Saver Lockup

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Mar 9 00:30:01 CST 2005

On Mon, March 7, 2005 9:13 am, Brian D. McGrew said:
> System will hand with screensaver active.  Doesn't matter which user I'm
> logged in as, myself, root or generic user with no environment.  Using
> the standard drivers that come with the system for video.
>

> Any ideas?

A question: does the system actually hang?  Or do you mean the session
won't wake up from screensaver--I see this on FC3 on my Precision 530 at
home in the Gnome screensaver.  It doubles as a server, and keeps on
chugging away, just can't wake up the console session.  I've found a
couple of things:

--If I leave the Firestarter gui running in a window, it doesn't happen; and
--if I don't and it happens, I can kill the pid on :0 that's returned by
"who -u", using a ctrl-alt-f1 virtual console root session, and when I
ctrl-alt-f7 back to the console I'm at a X login prompt and can run
another session.

Not sure what a generic user with no environment is doing with a screensaver.