error messages with backup on new 2850

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Mar 8 21:03:00 CST 2005

Is the devise actually st0?

This message suggests the tape drive is not available.

Try

mt -f /dev/st0 status

see if it senses the tape type and capacity.

Eg,

#mt -f /dev/st0 status
drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
drive status = 620757504
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x25 (unknown).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

If you get,

~# mt -f /dev/st1 status
mt: /dev/st1: No such device or address

The tape may not be mounted, or you have the wrong device, or you don't
have the needed modules setup.

A faulty tape could also cause this, try another tape.

Check the capacity is set correctly.

Try a clean.

Try lsmod and look for the st module, if it is there, unload and reload
it, this may get the tape unit "auto" detected and operational.

Full tape?

Try, # mt -f /dev/st0 rewind

if the prompt instantly returns then your OK, if you get a delay (while
it rewinds) the tape may not have rewound after the last use.

Regards

Steven