broadcom nics on PE1750

nelson18@llnl.gov nelson18 at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 7 12:08:01 CST 2005

On 07-Mar-2005 sirola at fisica.unige.it wrote:
> Hello,
> I have some problems with the PE1750 broadcom nics: if I try to
> configure the nics at 100basetc full-duplex (no autosensing), one of
> the nics loose the carrier and I need a reboot to reconfigure it. If I
> reboot while the nics are configured as 100basetx full, then one of
> the nics (after flashing his leds for a while) never goes online. This
> problem happens both on freebsd, on linux and on win2k. Did anyone find
> anything similar while using PE1750 models?
> Thanks in advance,
> Enrico

Yes.  After dinking around for a couple months trying differnt things,
I eventually just installed an Intel e1000 ethernet card and after that
everything was fine.  There have been numerous reports on this thread
about problems with the broadcom nics in the 1750.  For some people
everything works fine right out of the box but for other people it never
really works at all and nothing fixes it.

So save yourself grief, spend $100 and get the Intel card and pop it in.

Hope this helps.

Scott Nelson

---

Scott D. Nelson            B543  Rm2236    3-1250
Group Leader, Accelerator Design and Code Group
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East Ave., L-645    Livermore, California 94550
email: nelson18 at llnl.gov   http://www-eng-x.llnl.gov/dsed/