PowerEdge 1750 and megaraid2 usage on install

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 08:58:01 CST 2005

Bad form to follow up to my own post, but I got my finger out and did some
actual work myself and solved it.  Comments are inline.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Ben wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Andrew Mann wrote:
>
>>   The easy way to get this done is to install with the megaraid driver
>> and then edit /etc/modules.conf to alias megaraid2 instead of megaraid,
>> and finally rebuild the initrd (the mkinitrd program will take care of
>> that simply).
>
> Changing /etc/modules.conf and then installing a new kernel via up2date
> should accomplish the same thing, yes?  Running up2date is part of my
> build process, so this should be fairly easy to do.

I didn't do this in the end, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

>>   You could also modify the pcitable inside the initrd.img (a gzipped
>> image file) on the http server to reference megaraid2 instead of
>> megaraid.
>
> Oddly, with my PE2850 servers and their 4e/Di controllers all I did was
> add the following line to the pcitable file on the driver floppy and that
> ensured that the megaraid2 driver was loaded when the machine made
> contact with the HTTP kickstart server:
>
> 0x1028  0x0013  "megaraid2"     "Dell Computer Corporation|PowerEdge
> Expandable RAID controller 4e/Si 4e/Di"
>
> I was hoping the same technique would work for the 4/Di in the 1750.
> Now I look at my reference for doing this (kind of), it was your email:
>
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2004-November/040722.html
>
> I can't seem to fine initrd.img in my installation source.  Do you mean one
> of these:
>
> RedHat/base/hdstg2.img
> RedHat/base/netstg2.img
> RedHat/base/product.img
> RedHat/base/stage2.img ?

In the end I did the following:

Copy the netstg2.img file from the installation server to a local machine
Mount it loopback
  mkdir /mnt/loop
  mount -o loop /tmp/netstg2.img /mnt/loop
Make a second copy of the /mnt/loop directory
  mkdir /tmp/loop2
  rsync -av /mnt/loop/ /tmp/loop2
Modify the file /tmp/loop2/modules/pcitable using vi or something else
Unmount the current netstg2.img and keep it safe
  umount /mnt/loop
  mv /tmp/netstg2.img /tmp/netstg2.img.old
Make a new version of the filesystem image using the modified second copy
  mkcramfs /tmp/loop2 /tmp/netstg2.img
Copy the new netstg2.img to the installation server

>>   The bootdisk doesn't usually contain the scsi drivers, those are
>> loaded off the initrd.img from the final installation media.  You'll
>> need put "megaraid2" instead of "megaraid" in the pcitable file
>> ultimately, but you shouldn't need to add any lines for the 1750, just
>> alter the existing lines that tell map the controller in the 1750 to the
>> megaraid driver.
>
> As I said, I was hoping that adding the entries to the pcitable on the
> driver floppy would accomplish the same thing.  I currently can't find an
> initrd.img containing a pcitable file on the installation point.

With the above in place I've been able to return to a vanilla driver floppy
(which is a great help and means far fewer disks to have about the place).

>>[...]
>[...]

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.