PowerEdge 1750 and megaraid2 usage on install

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 05:22:00 CST 2005

Now I know this has been asked before but I'm all out of ideas and I can't
seem to find anything on Google that helps me (unless I'm very dense and
missing it).

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1750 with the standard PERC 4/Di in it.  I'm doing
a fresh install of RHEL3 AS u4 from an HTTP server via kickstart.  No
matter what I do I cannot get it to use the megaraid2 driver over the
megaraid one.  Here's my setup:

syslinux.cfg:
-------------

serial 0 9600
default server
prompt 1
display boot.msg
F1 boot.msg

label server
   kernel vmlinuz
   append expert noprobe initrd=initrd.img ks=floppy:/server.cfg
console=ttyS0,9600
[...]

server.cfg:
-----------

install
network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip 192.168.0.62 --netmask
255.255.255.0 --gateway 192.168.0.1 --nameserver 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3
--hostname server.thingy.wossname

url --url http://192.168.0.4/redhat/AS
lang en_GB.UTF-8
langsupport --default en_GB.UTF-8 en_GB.UTF-8
keyboard uk
mouse genericps/2 --device psaux --emulthree
skipx
rootpw --iscrypted SOMERANDOMGSTRINGWENTTHERE
firewall --disabled
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
timezone Europe/London
device scsi megaraid2
device net tg3
bootloader --location=mbr
clearpart --all --drives=sda
part /boot --fstype "ext3" --size=100 --ondisk=sda
part / --fstype "ext3" --size=1024 --grow --ondisk=sda
part swap --size=1000 --grow --maxsize=2000 --ondisk=sda
reboot
[...]

Yet it doesn't load the megaraid2 (or in fact the tg3) driver and I have to
drop in the tg3 one by hand.  Can someone please explain the probably
obvious step I'm missing?  If I let it install with the megaraid driver and
then change /etc/modules.conf to use megaraid2 on the scsi_adapter line
there's a complaint in dmesg on next reboot about megaraid already being
loaded (something to do with memory being in use).

If I take out expert noprobe and leave the device lines in it uses the
megaraid driver.  If I take out the device lines it uses the megaraid
driver.  I'd really like to use the megaraid2 driver.

I even added these lines to pcitable on the driver floppy:

0x1028  0x000e  "megaraid"      "Dell|PowerEdge Expandable RAID controller 4/Di"
0x1028  0x000f  "megaraid"      "Dell|PowerEdge Expandable RAID controller 4/Di"

In the hope it'd help in the same way adding similar ones for the PERC
4e/Di helped load megaraid2 for PowerEdge 2850s kickstart installations.

Please, if anyone has a clue there's beertokens in it for you (-:

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.