java 1.4.2 segfaults on new PE2850

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Mar 2 19:28:00 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:36:40PM -0600, Doug Rorem wrote:
> 2-mar-2005
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has seen this (and has a fix?)
>
> We have a PE2850, dual 3.2Ghz Xeons, 4gig memory
> 10gig swap (details at end), three 73gig HD's in RAID 5
> configuration. We're running RedHat EL 3 Update 3.
>
> I've been trying to install Oracle 10g w/o success.
> Finally realized (via strace) that the java executable
> in their JRE (v 1.4.2) is seg faulting. This behavior is
> repeatable with the J2SE 1.4.2_07 RPM from Sun (by just
> running /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_07/bin/java -version).
> I tried turning off hyperthreading (I saw a post on
> the net that suggested trying this) but that didn't
> seem to make a difference.
>
> Oddly, Sun's J2SE 5.0 RPM doesn't exhibit this behavior,
> but that isn't much help because Oracle's installer
> uses Java v 1.4.2
>
> We another PE2850 (a few months old) with the same
> exact configuration that *doesn't* exhibit this
> behavior. The only difference (that I know of is this)
>
> new PE2850 - dual Xeon 3.2Ghz model 4 stepping 1
> old PE2850 - dual Xeon 3.2Ghz model 3 stepping 4
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes.  I believe it has to do with NX (No Execute, aka Execute
Disabled) being enabled.  If you check the BIOS versions on your
systems, are they different?

Sun Java JREs < 1.5.0 don't work with NX enabled.  You have two
choices:
1) upgrade to JRE >= 1.5.0
2) disable NX with the kernel command line option "noexec=off".
   If you're running an ia32e (EM64T) kernel, also add "noexec32=off"

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch