RHL9 Building driver disks for 2.4.20-8BOOT

Eric kernel at spirilis.net
Wed Mar 2 17:21:00 CST 2005

Hi-
I finally got around to using dkms and I think I figured it out, and successfully hacked the e1000 source with
a 'redhat_driver_disk' and 'dkms.conf' file such that I can build the e1000 driver for whatever kernel/arch I need.

However, I ran into another problem that's probably more RH9-related-
I can kickstart the server just fine now with the driver disk, however once it reboots, the e1000 driver is no longer
available (I thought this would happen, seeing as I couldn't fit the 2.4.20-8smp version of the driver on the same disk
without anaconda complaining and claiming the driver disk doesn't contain any valid modules...)

This seems like an obvious problem, I'm sure there's a solution--does anyone have any ideas/pointers?

The only way out I can imagine is by writing a creative script in the %postinstall portion to copy & install the e1000
driver and DKMS over NFS, then on next boot, build the module and install it (then bring up eth0 using /sbin/ifup)...

Would it also be possible to generate a binary RPM of the e1000 driver for the intended kernel version, and specify that
in the packages portion of ks.cfg, throwing the binary RPM into our RedHat/RPMS dir on the NFS mount?

TIA
-Eric

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 02:13:24PM -0600, Matt Domsch put into existance: