[Fwd: RAC, ERA, 2650, Serial Terminal]

Brian K. Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Mar 2 11:40:01 CST 2005

Yeah, the serial port is enabled, but your question about inittab
*should* be irrelevant if what I want to talk to is the RAC, and not the
OS. In this case, I should be able to talk to the RAC on the serial port
even if the machine is powered off, which would imply (strongly) that
inittab is irrelevant at that point :)

I found a document yesterday on Dell's site that suggested that the ERA
*only* talks through it's rj45. However, all of the documents for the
ERA talk about the serial port being used. Then I noticed that *those*
documents don't specifically say "configure your ERA this way", they say
"configure your RAC this way". Maybe they use this same generic wording
for all of their docs, and it doesn't apply to the ERA.

Can someone at Dell *please* confirm or deny whether I should be able to
perform, for example, a "power on" of a 2650 equipped with an ERA,
connected to the serial console (COM2) port using minicom?

Another point of confusion is that the docs say that you must use a null
modem serial cable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Any updated
info from what's in the docs? Is the RAC documenation just horribly
outdated or something?