strange problems with ping on a 1850

Andrew Mann amann at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Mar 2 11:14:30 CST 2005

	I don't believe there is a known problem with pings on 1850s - you'll
have to provide more information.

	Which network interface are you using?  What do you mean exactly by the
network interface going down?  Do you lose the network link light on the
system? Does the switch report that the link is down?  Do you get a
syslog output line?  Does ifconfig show the interface as no longer running?
	Do you really mean kernel 2.4.15 and 2.4.27 or do you mean the RedHat
kernels 2.4.21-15.EL and 2.4.21-27.EL (or 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL, or a Fedora
Core kernel?)?  If you mean the stock kernel.org kernels, do you really
have a kickstart disk (RedHat / Fedora terminology I believe) from each
kernel, or is it just a single kickstart disk with different kernels
installed on the machine later?
	If you install from a media other than NFS (like CD) does the network
still suffer these problems?
	When you say that running that command from a bash script brings the
network down, do you mean that you can go to a shell and run 'ping -c 5
a.b.c.d' and it works fine, but 'echo "ping -c 5 a.b.c.d" >
/tmp/pingscript.sh; chmod +x /tmp/pingscript.sh; /tmp/pingscript.sh'
will cause a problem, or is there more to it than that?

Andrew

Steven Jones wrote:
> I am trying to fathom a problem with a kickstart script.
>
> If I do a ping -c 5 130.195.20.xxx from the command line it works fine.
> Doing same inside a bash script with the exact same syntax often seems
> to take the network on the box down.
>
> I am doing a ping to try and trace why nfs mounting is failing, in
> effect it is probably being caused by the same thing.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> I have flashed the bios to A02 and it makes no odds. Kernel is 2.4.27 or
> 2.4.15 seems to make no odds.
>
> Regards
>
> Steven

Andrew Mann