RHEL 4 & MySQL 4.1?

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed Mar 2 11:10:01 CST 2005

Yeah I know it's not poweredge, but it is running
on a poweredge. :-)  I just installed RHEL 4 on a
PE750, went on with no problems.  Only thing I've
run into is a semi-known issue with mysql 4.1
and password hashing.  RedHat sets it to default
to using the old compatibility password mode
and having a blank root password.  This is all well
and good, only when I add more users in that have
passwords, they can't log in using the mysql CLI.
They can log in just fine via remote 3.x clients
and can also access the server fine using phpmyadmin,
but the local command line always fails.  I know
it is related to the password issue but I just
can't figure out how to log in locally. LOL

Thanks,

Dave