poweredge hardware monitoring

Lewis Getschel lgetschel at denver.westerngeco.slb.com
Tue Mar 1 17:11:01 CST 2005

Hello All-
   I'm new to this list (I've been lurking a week or so now <smirk>)
   Another alternative for monitoring systems is a monitoring program
called Nagios (www.nagios.org). (Although, if you only have a few
systems, this could be overkill)
There is a pretty steep learning curve, but it is a great system. I'm
using it to monitor a mixed environment of windows and linux. 512
poweredge 1550's (yeah, they're old, but still work), 17 2650's, (the
2650's each have 4 powervault 220s), 400+ linux boxes plus assorted
switches,routers, printers etc. Short scripts called 'plugins' expand
it's functionality. (I wrote one so that I can now monitor each of the
individual drives in all the powervaults on my windows 2k servers (68
vaults) , and get notified when one PV 'decides' to change a drive from
'online' to 'ready' and rebuilds itself, I'm still working on a linux
version though).
   Just my 2 cents.
Lewis