VIRTUALCDROM / VIRTUALFLOPPY on 2850

Matthias Pigulla mp at webfactory.de
Tue Mar 1 13:58:01 CST 2005

Hi all,

I've been struggling all day long with a new 2850 with (hardware) remote
management, trying to set up Debian. It was tricky to get the ATA
chipset working (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE), and besides that, I got some
CONFIG_HIGHMEM/CONFIG_HIGHIO related problems - various file system
modules had unresolved symbols.

Now the kernel is up and running and /dev/hda and /dev/hdb show up as
"VIRTUALFLOPPY DRIVE Floppy" and "VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE" respectively.

The problem is I cannot mount any CDs in the drive - I just get "no
medium found" errors. When connecting the drive to my local workstation
drive using the remote management web interface, everything works fine,
I can access the (server remote) cd.

The same problem occured when using the Debian images provided by Scott
at http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers. After the
basic setup questions are answered, you are asked to insert the Debian
CD#1. Same situation: you'll get "no medium found" errors when inserting
the CD into the server, I had to use the remote console mount.

Something obvious I am missing? Is there some switch necessary to
circumvent "virtual" drives and access the ones physically built into
the machine?

Best regards,
Matthias