How about Debian on Dell 2850

John Parnefjord john.parnefjord at kib.ki.se
Tue Mar 1 04:04:01 CST 2005

Hi!

I'm about to buy a new server and I think that 2850 seems to be a
reasonable option. But I would really like to hear other points of view
when it comes to running Debian on this piece of machine as I'm not that
eager to run RHEL.

Are there any hardware issues that need certain attention, for example
the support for the 64-bits and how about the raid controller cards?

I was thinking of equipping the machine with dual processors (64-bit
Intel® Xeon processor 3.2GHz with 1MB L2 cache) and 2GB ram. Raided scsi
disks (probably just raid level 1).

Input is appreciated.

Regards
// John