replacing RH 7.3 on a 2650: please advise

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Mon May 31 10:09:00 CDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, jason andrade wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2004 Ernest.Buford at uvm.edu wrote:
>
> > With RedHat 7.3 at EOL, is Enterprise Linux 3 a safe bet?
>
> yes.  and RHL9 is also EOL.   RHEL3 is not released at
> RHEL3/QU2.

Huh?  Perhaps you mean "RHEL3 is *now* released at RHEL3/QU2"? :)

> > I see that RedHat certifies RHEL 3 for the 2650 but not
> > for the PowerVaults (220S & 132T) that I'm using.  (I've
> > also noticed a few problems mentioned on this list.)  Will
> > this OS/hardware combo work well?
>
> i don't think the OS will really make much difference to all
> the various bits 'around' the server.  the 220 is after all
> just a disk chassis (so if the controller is recognised you
> are fine) and the 132T is a tape drive so again, if the controller
> it is attached to has drivers then it should detect and use
> the tape drive.

Except that mtx was "forgotten" from the initial spin of the CD's.  It's in
QU1 and up, but if you install from the original CD's you'll need to
manually install it with up2date.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free