PERC3/Di failure workaround hypothesis

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat May 29 15:00:00 CDT 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 09:54:55AM -0700, Sean Bruno - TELECOM wrote:
> Test results are in.
>
> My test machine with the read/write cache disabled "detonated" last
> night after about one day of up-time.
>
> Looking at the console, I see a smattering of errors writing to the
> disks.
>
> What seems very strange to me is the fact that I have close to 80 2650's
> running just fine with RAID1.  These machines are a bit out of date as
> far as firmware is concerned.
>
> What do you want to try next?

OK, first we need to know what those messages are.  Serial consoles
are your friend here, if no other way.

Then we need to know what firmware you're running.  If as you say,
it's out of date, if it's less than 2.7, please upgrade to 2.8 and try
again.  Other bugs have been fixed in the firmwares which could
account for this too, where the 'disable cache' workaround wouldn't
fix.

If that still doesn't resolve it, report back here for specific
instructions for calling Dell Tech Support.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch