replacing RH 7.3 on a 2650: please advise

Ernest.Buford@uvm.edu Ernest.Buford at uvm.edu
Fri May 28 12:10:01 CDT 2004

With RedHat 7.3 at EOL, is Enterprise Linux 3 a safe bet?
I see that RedHat certifies RHEL 3 for the 2650 but not
for the PowerVaults (220S & 132T) that I'm using.  (I've
also noticed a few problems mentioned on this list.)  Will
this OS/hardware combo work well?

Pointers on the install would also be helpful as I am very
new to Dell servers and have not installed Linux on a
PowerEdge.  Is the install straightforward?  Should I use
Server Assistant if I'm buying the OS direct from RedHat?
My main concern is installing the OS on a RAID mirror and
potential problems with drivers and such for the PERC cards
(and NICs).

Also, is RHEL 3 *AS* going to be OK?  Docs at dell.com seem
to indicate that ES is preferred for a 2 processor system,
but RedHat does not offer academic pricing for ES.

I'm enjoying the list (tho some of it is over my head).
Thanks for any assistance,
Ernie

My system:
PowerEdge 2650 Dual Xeon 2.0 GHz
2GB RAM
Dual Broadcom BCM5701 NICs
PERC3Di (2 drives RAID1 for OS & 2 drives RAID1 for data)
PERC3DC -> PV 220S (RAID5)
Adaptec 39160 -> PV 132T

 Ernest W. Buford
 Rubenstein School of Environment