Request for information: Infamous Ext3_Inode errors on Adaptec Perc 3/di

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Thu May 27 15:58:00 CDT 2004

At 5/25/04 7:13 PM, David_Papasan at Dell.com wrote:

>We have been working for a while now on tracking down and fixing this
>issue.
>
>Summary of the issue:
>Systems running Adaptec ROMB ( 3/di) with otherwise healthy arrays.
>System gets Ext3_Inode errors on the console, and looses connection to
>the disks. Normally the logs do not have the errors, only the console
>due to not being able to write to the disk.

For the record, this is not the error situation that I (and many other
people) have been reporting with the Perc 3/Di.

In the situation that I have been reporting, there are never any messages
on the console whatsoever (this is on Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.20).

I mentioned this lack of errors in one of my previous posts, and Matt
seemed to confirm that the error he was looking into was one that did not
show anything on the console.

Is there just some confusion about the symptoms here (e.g., they can be
different depending on kernel, etc.), or is the "no errors on console"
error a different problem that Dell has not yet been able to reproduce?

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies      http://www.tigertech.net/

 "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
                                                           -- Darwin