smartmontools to monitor disks in 1655MC blades running SuSE 8.2

Marc Schmitt mschmitt at inf.ethz.ch
Wed May 26 13:23:01 CDT 2004

Hi Aaron,

SMART monitoring from the OS won't work through a RAID controller, it
only works for disks that are directly attached through a simple SCSI or
IDE HBA (or if you degrade your RAID controller to a regular disk
controller, not using its RAID capabilities).

What exists is RAID controllers capable of monitoring the SMART status
of the disks attached to it. If you can read this information dependes
on the adapter management tool you've received with your RAID
controller. No idea what that is in case of a LSI Fusion MPT... sorry.

	Marc