smartmontools to monitor disks in 1655MC blades running SuSE 8.2

Aaron Urbain aurbain at staff.theuseful.com
Wed May 26 06:42:01 CDT 2004

I'm looking to monitor the internal Raid 1 arrays in my blades
and am thinking that http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/  can
use S.M.A.R.T to
notify me of actual or predicted failures.

app5:/etc/init.d # smartctl --smart=on /dev/sda2
smartctl version 5.31 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

unable to fetch IEC (SMART) mode page [unsupported field in scsi command]
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
'-T permissive' options.

Has anyone gotten this to work?
Perhaps the maxtor 10k drives are not smart enabled?
Any other options for monitoring disks connected to LSI Fusion MPT
controller?

-Aaron.