PERC3/Di failure workaround hypothesis

Randy Palmer Randy_Palmer at avid.com
Mon May 24 14:23:01 CDT 2004

Matt-

Could you repost the exact commands to disable both read and write
caching on the PERC3/Di as mentioned in your workaround?

   Read Cache Setting     : DISABLE
   Write Cache Setting    : DISABLE
   Write Cache Status     : Inactive, cache disabled.

When I try these commands on my 2650:

   # afacli
   > open afa0
   > container set cache /read_cache_enable=FALSE 0
   > container set cache /write_cache_enable=FALSE 0
   > container show cache 0

I find that they seem to be interrelated.  I can disable one (say READ),
but when I then try to disable the other (WRITE), the previous one
(READ) is enabled again:

   AFA0> container set cache /read_cache_enable=FALSE 0
   Executing: container set cache /read_cache_enable=FALSE 0

   AFA0> container set cache /write_cache_enable=FALSE 0
   Executing: container set cache /write_cache_enable=FALSE 0

   AFA0> container show cache 0
   Executing: container show cache 0

   Global Container Read Cache Size  : 483328
   Global Container Write Cache Size : 118259712

   Read Cache Setting        : ENABLE
   Write Cache Setting       : DISABLE
   Write Cache Status        : Inactive, cache disabled

   AFA0>

It seems like there must be some missing link I'm unaware of.  Tips on
how to disable both read and write caching would be appreciated.

  -RP