split backplane on PowerEdge 2650: win or no?

Fri May 21 18:16:01 CDT 2004

The bplane has 2 68pin scsi sockets on it regardless if
it is split or unsplit.  You cannot connect both connectors
and split it without the daughtercard and will give errors
at post if tried.  The connectors are labeled channel a and
channel b on the bplane.  Channel a and no daughtercard and
7899 channel a on motherboard is 1x5 bplane and channel a on
bplane with daughter card attached to 7899 channel a is a 1x2
bplane and channel b attached to channel b of 7899 is 1x3 bplane.

The daughter card has a slot over the top of the hard drive bays
where it locks into the bplane and enables the scsi controller
in the bplane to split into 2 separate u160 channels.

Hope this helps clear some of the confusion here.

The ROMB (raid on motherboard0 is a actuator chip and dimm that
plugs into the motherboard.  The raid processor and the same 7899
controllers are then enabled to become a raid controller and
the raid processor and logic are embedded in all 2650 motherboards
and in doing this embedding, drove down the overall purchasing
cost for hware raid to the masses.  There are problems with imaging
linux and having multiple channels nonraid so the split bplane
is not offered with factory install.  A split backplane without
raid was supposed to be made available as long as no os option was
configured, but I don't know if that was ever done.  If you want
to do the sware raid just order without the raid and then add the
2nd cable and the daughtercard and all will be fine.
Steve