split backplane on PowerEdge 2650: win or no?

James Ralston qralston+ml.dell-poweredge at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 21 16:02:01 CDT 2004

On 2004-05-21 at 21:40:16+01 Colin Whittaker <colin.whittaker at heanet.ie> wrote:
> My understanding from having tried to order such a configuration is
> that the split backplane is only available if you order the onboard
> raid card.

Hmmm.

>From this:

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/pe2650/en/sm/remove.htm#1047004

...it certainly seems as if you don't need the onboard RAID.

On Dell's website, I can spec out a PowerEdge2650 system with the
split backplane and no add-in controllers.

Although I do see this disclaimer under the "Hard Drive Configuration"
section:

   "Split Backplanes requires Primary Controller with a minimum of 2
    internal channels"

This doesn't seem very clear.  :(

James