Debian OMSA

Charlie Orford spam at linuxdsl.co.uk
Fri May 21 14:55:01 CDT 2004

Sean McAvoy wrote:

> Hello Charlie,
> I'm still having troubles building a usable module(i.e. no unresolved
> symbols), could it be some option in .config that could cause this problem?
> I went as far as setting up a fresh debian install on a PE1600sc,
> downloaded linux-2.4.26.tar.gz from ftp.kernel.org, copied my existing
> .config  into the root of the kernel source tree. I then ran `make-kpkg
> --append_to_version -kernel.org --revision 3 buildpackage kernel_image
> kernel_source kernel_headers`
> then sym linked /usr/src/linux-2.4.26 -> /usr/src/linux-2.4. I then
> installed the kernel-image package
> rebooted, installed dellomsa-drivers and it built the module, but it has
> unresolved symbols (local_bh_enable and local_bh_disable)
>
> could you possibly send contents of
> /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/omsa/drivers/open_src/esm_log so I can compare
> it to my own? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sean,
This is the contents of my esm_log:
http://dev.linuxdsl.co.uk/esm_log

Also, this is the exact history of the commands I ran to remove my old
dellomsa version and install the latest vers (the same one you are
trying to install):

   517  cd /usr/src
   518  wget
http://debian.marlow.dk/dists/woody/dell/pool/dellomsa_4.120-3925_i386.deb
   519  wget
http://debian.marlow.dk/dists/woody/dell/pool/dellomsa-drivers_4.120-3925_i386.deb
   520  dpkg -r dellomsa-drivers
   521  dpkg -r dellomsa
   522  dpkg -i dellomsa-drivers_4.120-3925_i386.deb
   523  dpkg -i dellomsa_4.120-3925_i386.deb
   524  dellomsa start

The only difference I can spot between myself and you is that I
symlinked /usr/src/linux-2.4.26 -> /usr/src/linux
whereas you symlinked /usr/src/linux-2.4.26 -> /usr/src/linux-2.4

I suppose it is possible that some .config option is causing it but I
have no idea how you would go about finding which one(s) it could be.

Charlie