PE 2650 failing once a week with I/O errors.

Fri May 21 08:56:01 CDT 2004

See the post Matt Domsch sent out shortly before yours.  It is totally
relevant to what you are experiencing.
Steve

  _____

From: linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com] On Behalf Of Samuel J Stanaitis
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 9:43 AM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: PE 2650 failing once a week with I/O errors.

Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I am new to list and a
quick search through the archives didn't yield anything.

Starting last week on Monday evening around 4pm, and from the looks of
it this Sunday around midnight, one of my PowerEdge 2650's running
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 has been failing.  The error messages that
scroll the screen are "I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 12329106" the number
after 'sector' is random.  When this occurs, the only way I can get into
the box and bring it back up is to log into the RAC card and reboot the
server.  I've done some searching on Google, and from what I have read
it looks like there may be a problem with the RAID card in this machine.
The RAID card is the "Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 3/Di,
BIOS V2.7-1 [Build 3170]"  On boot it detects everything fine, system
boots fine, but as this is the second crash, the server has been taken
out of the production environment until I figure out what the problem is
and fix it.  It's a 5-disc RAID-5 with the ext3 filesystem, and the
kernel version is 2.4.21-4.ELsmp.

Also, I'm a Linux newbie for the most part, I have 3 identically
configured PE2650's, one of which is giving me trouble... any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

S.J.Stanaitis (sstanaitis at decorativeproductsource.com)

Network Administrator, DecorativeProductSource.com

877-650-8030 x160