Linux Cluster Management

Jerry Normandin JNormandin at welchs.com
Fri May 21 07:26:00 CDT 2004

I manage a Linux Cluster at Welch's.   I use the distribulator.  It is
very extensible (is that a bushism?) anyway If you know or would like to
learn Python you can add as many functions as you wish.  You can create
classes of servers in XML, I have DEV, QA, PROD, DB, APP, CONC, GLOBAL.
Let's say if you want to tune a kernel tuning parameter on all your
oracle application servers you would select server-group DB, and
copy /etc/sysctl.conf /etc/, this will copy the new system control file
to all the servers in group DB.  then run "/sbin/sysctl -p" will run
sysctl on all the boxes in DB.  I also use this in user group creation,
kernel upgrades and so on.  Our environment really won't work well with
NIS.  Anyway AN Oracle cluster consists of sever db servers connected to
a SAN with OCFS for the database filesystem.  You have several
concurrent manager hosts, several application server hosts balanced with
a BIGIP appliance. Anyway I hope this helps.  the distribulator lives at
sourceforge.