PowerEdge 750 w/SATA RAID

Glenn Provoost glenn.provoost at dolphinsmind.be
Fri May 21 03:52:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

--On donderdag 20 mei 2004 16:49 -0500 Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com>
wrote:

> Sure, that would work as well.  The SATA controllers on the PE700 and
> PE750 are in "combined mode", but the ata-piix driver in FC1 should
> handle them alright.

I can confirm that the SATA controller in the PE750 works with the ata-piix
driver, however I can't manage to get DMA enabled on it on any kernel later
than 2.4.18-bf2.4 (which is on the debian bf2.4 boot floppies). This
renders me with pitiful performance on the I/O to the disks: something like
3MB/s  :-( Even when I use the 2.4.18-bf2.4 config to compile e.g. 2.4.24,
I can't get DMA working. I get:

[root at mymachine linux]# hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

If anyone would be able to shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Glenn