PE 2650 failing once a week with I/O errors.

Samuel J Stanaitis sstanaitis at decorativeproductsource.com
Thu May 20 16:23:47 CDT 2004

Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I am new to list and a quick
search through the archives didn't yield anything.

Starting last week on Monday evening around 4pm, and from the looks of it
this Sunday around midnight, one of my PowerEdge 2650's running RedHat
Enterprise Linux 3.0 has been failing.  The error messages that scroll the
screen are "I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 12329106" the number after 'sector'
is random.  When this occurs, the only way I can get into the box and bring
it back up is to log into the RAC card and reboot the server.  I've done
some searching on Google, and from what I have read it looks like there may
be a problem with the RAID card in this machine.  The RAID card is the "Dell
PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 3/Di, BIOS V2.7-1 [Build 3170]"  On
boot it detects everything fine, system boots fine, but as this is the
second crash, the server has been taken out of the production environment
until I figure out what the problem is and fix it.  It's a 5-disc RAID-5
with the ext3 filesystem, and the kernel version is 2.4.21-4.ELsmp.

Also, I'm a Linux newbie for the most part, I have 3 identically configured
PE2650's, one of which is giving me trouble. any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

S.J.Stanaitis (sstanaitis at decorativeproductsource.com)

Network Administrator, DecorativeProductSource.com

877-650-8030 x160