PV220S in a bad state. Recovery advice needed

Philippe Gramoullé philippe.gramoulle at mmania.com
Tue May 18 10:56:00 CDT 2004

 Hi,

We have a 2650+PV220s that broke minutes ago. Here's the problem:

PV220S in a RAID5 setup 2 raid sets of 6 disks each, spanned for a logical volume of about 670 Go

Before the SCSI errors happened this was the following set up

 0°  ONLINE A00-00
 1°  ONLINE A00-01
 2°  ONLINE A00-02
 3°  ONLINE A00-03
 4°  ONLINE A00-04
 5°  ONLINE A00-05
 6°  PROC
 7°
 8°  ONLINE A01-00
 9°  ONLINE A01-01
 10° ONLINE A01-02
 11° ONLINE A01-03
 12° ONLINE A01-04
 13° ONLINE A01-05
 14° SPARE
 15° SPARE

now the layout looks like this:

 0°  FAIL   A00-00
 1°  ONLINE A00-01
 2°  ONLINE A00-02
 3°  ONLINE A00-03
 4°  READY
 5°  ONLINE A00-05
 6°  PROC
 7°
 8°  ONLINE A01-00
 9°  ONLINE A01-00
 10° ONLINE A01-00
 11° ONLINE A01-00
 12° ONLINE A01-00
 13° ONLINE A01-00
 14° READY
 15° FAIL   A00-04

What is think is that the spare drives were somewhat broken so that when rebuild started after A00-01 and/or A00-04 broke,
the volume when offline.

I'm used to plug/unplug the shelf and redoing the config manually, so it isn't a problem if this is the way to go.

I'd rather avoid to use the "Force Disk Online" option as it always screwed the filesystem before and needed fsck.

Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks,

Philippe