quick PV220 question

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon May 17 10:04:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 23:01, jason andrade wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Mark Watts wrote:
>
> > Well pulling it out while the system was live didn't break anything :o)
> > I think I'll power-off the box before putting it back in though (its a test
> > machine)
>
> this is the benefit of the 'prepare slot' command - it turns off power to that
> slot so you can put a drive back safely as well.  rather than needing to power
> cycle the whole machine.
>
> hmm, i just thought of something - for people using software raid (and not afacli)
> there isn't any way to prepare a slot.. or is there ?  and how do you do this for
> megaraid usage ? i can't remember seeing if there's the equivalent of a prepare
> slot under that utility..

There are some steps you have to do in order to hot-swap a disk while
using software raid, but it doesn't control power in the slot.  You just
do it live, but it works fine.

For those that are interested in how hot-swap works with software raid,
the first step is to find the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script.  Google is a
good help in this.

For removing the drive, you have to use mdadm and fail the drive in
question, then remove it from the array.  After that, you can yank it.
You then need to run the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to register the
removal fully in the kernel.

When adding a drive, you just slide it in, then run the
rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to recognize the new drive.  You can then use
mdadm to add it into an array.