Why RHN update IBM JDK ?

Tim Schaefer tschaefer at dwcsolutions.com
Fri May 14 09:34:01 CDT 2004

 It is exactly this kind of problem that faces the Java world, the
splintering
 and forking of different Java releases, to the extent that people find
several
 different Java installations on machines because every vendor seems to
tweak
 their version to fit their applications.

 According to IBM you should use their Java, however, it appears you
already have
 what you need installed.

 You can install IBM's Java separately from the DB2 installation too if
the need
 arises, documentation will tell you which RPM to install.

 Read the docs entitled "Up and Running With DB2 for Linux" which is a
300+ page
 Redbook available for FREE off of IBM's website or on their Redbook CD.

 REDBOOK CD: SK2T-8038-11  ISBN 0738453420  April 2003

 Look for document number SG24-6899-00 ( sg246899.htm )

 Personally, my own opinion is that I would not use a Java release that
is not
 officially sanctioned by IBM because of support issues.

 Tim