bcm5700 driver for Fedora Core-2 ?

nelson18@llnl.gov nelson18 at llnl.gov
Thu May 13 11:50:01 CDT 2004

On 13-May-2004 john wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core-2 test 3 on a 2650, and I'm having
> performance issues serving NFS.
>
> Anecdotal evidence suggests that the problem is caused by the tg3
> gigabit ethernet driver, and that it should be fixed by migrating
> to a true broadcom bcm5700 driver.
>
> However, the current drivers available from Broadcom are cnly for
> 2.4 kernels, and hence do not work (or even install) on a 2.6 kernel.
>
> Does anyone have, or know of, a working bcm5700 driver for a 2.6 linux
> kernel ?
>
> thanks,
>
> john c.

Sigh...  if this mailing list is being archived, then if you look through
the list you'll finds all kinds of messages about bcm5700 vs. tg3
and the endless series of problems that some people are having.

My solution was to disable the on-board ethernet and put Intel Pro/1000 MT
ethernet cards in all of my boxes in the cluster (using the e1000 driver).  Much
cheaper, faster, and easier solution.  Or you can futz around for a month or
two, flip back and forth between bcm5700 and tg3, recompile the kernel a couple
times, etc.

OK Dell, it is time to send out $100 rebate checks to everyone per node.  There
are too many people who have this problem.  Just admit the problem, and move
on.

Scott Nelson

PS  I have a 2650 + sixteen 1750's.  The only problem I've had has been this
    ethernet issue.