PE2650 / PowerVault 220S Performance issue

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed May 12 22:56:01 CDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Trevor Cullingsworth wrote:

> --  Red Hat Advanced Server 3.0  kernel:  2.4.21-4.ELsmp

i'd recommend upgrading this to at least 2.4.21-9.0.3.ELsmp
which may or may not make any difference.

if possible go the whole hog, upgrade to RHEL AS3/Update2 with
the 2.4.21-15.ELsmp kernel (which is meant to have some important
scsi performance improvements).

yes, please ensure you have the latest firmware on the PV and your
perc controllers.

> But, in the meantime, has anyone had any success getting decent
> performance out of a PowerVault RAID system.  Or has anyone had any
> similar problems with a configuration like ours?

i can't say that i've heard of people having a lot of success on the
high performance side of things with this kit..  i would say you have
some solutions which might work

1) use software raid on linux - it's much faster than the perc3/4 dc
   i don't know if you can cluster with this option unfortunately :-(

   you may be able to do a hand crafted solution with failover that
   doesn't involve hardware clustering but you'd have to investigate
   this.

2) evaluate the perc3/qc or the perc4/qc (if it exists)

3) throw out the PV and get a dellemc CX300 or 500.  maybe dell would give
   you a credit for trading it in ?

> Are we using the PowerVault the correct way?  Maybe we should be using
> it as its intended function - as a doorstop?
>
> Just a little frustration getting through there.
>
> If anyone has any tips or comments I would gladly welcome them.

i wish i could be more positive but the reality is that the PV/PERC
combination just doesn't seem to work very well for people trying to use
it for high performance.  it works 'ok' for people with low write/medium
read performance (e.g 5-15Mbyte/sec and 30-60Mbyte/sec) where the
network rather than the application is the bottleneck.

my opinion is the PV is not suitable/recommended for other than
entry level/low end storage in combination with a perc controller.

regards,

-jason