PowerEdge 750: ata-piix HD - ide CDROM drive = kernel panic

Jonathan.Chan@csiro.au Jonathan.Chan at csiro.au
Wed May 12 17:51:01 CDT 2004

Sorry, forgot to attach the messages of kernel panic... Please find
below.

> Dear all,
>
> In a Dell PowerEdge 750, the SATA harddisk cannot be
> recognized by the kernel (causing a kernel panic) if the
> cdrom drive is removed.
>
> If the cdrom drive is put back, everything works fine!!!
>
> Interesting enough, if I use the ata-piix driver provided by
> the Dell CDROM, it works fine with Fedora core 1 even if I
> detach the cdrom drive.
>
> This problem seems to occur if I don't use the Dell provided
> ata-piix driver image. However, since there is no source
> code, I can't recompile the kernel.
>
> I have also tried to use the stock standard ata-piix driver from
>
> * Fedora core 1
> * Fedora core 2 test 3
> * Mandrake 10.0
> * Debian Dell-specific cd image (debian-dell-2.4.25.iso)
>
> they all cause a similar kernel panic if I have the CDROM
> drive removed!!!
>
> Any suggestions/comments are more than welcome...
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

These are the output before the kernel panic:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Red Hat nash version 3.5.21 starting
SCSI subsystem initialized
ata_piix: combined mode detected
ACPI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 0000:00:1f.2
ata1: PATA max UDMA/33 cdm 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdma 0xFEA0 irq 14
ata1: port disabled. ignoring.
scsi0: ata_piix
Using cfq io scheduler
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cdm 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xFEA8 irq 15
ata2: port disabled. ignoring.
scsi1 : ata_piix
VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)