UPS / non-UPS environmental monitoring

Scobie, David David.Scobie at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed May 12 15:08:01 CDT 2004

Hi.  A similar thing works for us too.  We use NUT and MRTG/RRDTOOL, and set
a trap on MRTG for a low power condition in the server room's emergency
power.  When a threshold is reached, the MRTG machine instructs the named
computers to shut down and then it switches off the UPS(s) so there is still
a little juice left in the batteries when power does actually come back on.
We also do a similar thing on the computers that are not on emergency power,
but the users have to make a specific request.  We had an unplanned
electrical test last weekend and things works as expected.
I figured it all out with the help of Google.
Caveat!  Not all UPS models are supported by all packages, so YMMV.  Between
the bundled tools and GPL, there is hope.  So, as Captain Tenneal says "Get
it on!"

Hope this helps,
Dave