external SATA RAID

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Wed May 12 03:52:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

We have the older 14-bay IDE AC&NC JetStor III, and I would say they are
quite good.

The only reservation I have is to do with monitoring, as the AC&NC RAIDm
utility supplied for use under Linux is a bit basic (all it does is spit out
an HTML page with all status info on it - I knocked up some init scripts to
turn it into a daemon). However, as you are interested in the newer SATA
models, these I believe have a network interface with web admin and support
SNMP, which should make monitoring a lot easier.

As far as performance goes, I have no complaints. We run an 8-disk RAID 5
array comprised of Western Digital 250GB drives. Our JetStor has 128MB of
cache fitted. I benchmarked it at around 70MB/sec with bonnie++. This runs
off RH8 with a 2.4.20 kernel, but I am using a newer aic7xxx release than
comes with this kernel (6.x, or something? I forget). Not sure whether this
gives a performance improvement, as I only did the benchmarking before
switching to the newer module release. Filesystem is ext3.

Regards,

--
Basil Hussain
I.T. Systems Developer and Administrator, Kodak Weddings
basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com