OT: external SATA RAID

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Tue May 11 18:07:01 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Eric Swenson wrote:

> I can recommend ExcelMeridian to you- their service and support has been
> absolutely stellar, to the point of overnight-shipping a new raid array
> to me, twice, when the WD drives they were using had firmware issues.
>
> I'm not sure about those specific companies, but you'll want to upgrade
> to a redhat beta channel kernel, such as 2.4.21-12.EL, to see any decent
> speed on the scsi devices under RHEL - something about removing the scsi
> no-affinity patch or something.  Doing so took the speed on my external
> IDE-to-SCSI raid array from 14MB/s up to 60MB/s.
>
> $0.02

Let me add my two (euro) cents, too:

Have a look at the triplestore masscope (P-ATA) or masscope+ (S-ATA)
arrays (www.triplestore.com).

At my guess, they are the smallest, most rugged designs and best
performing creations of their classes.
Almost 50% above all others, and - curios - the cheapest and less "space
eating" devices in field.

ftp.gwdg.de (a PE2650) has the whole data part on one single masscope
array on one scsi channel, and during the release of knoppix-3.4 last
week (which took about 1/3 of the traffic), this equipment was able to
saturate the 622 MBit/sec internet connection with ease.
This is not a result of a simple "read ahead" test situation, but of
about 1000 or more concurrent I/O processes.

bonnie++ results of different generations and configurations of the
masscope arrays are under
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/people/emoenke/ide-raid/.

Cheers -e
--