Kernel panic: no init found

Colin Jenkins colin.jenkins at antalis.co.uk
Tue May 11 10:23:01 CDT 2004

I have had a similar problem and I admit to being confused.

We have a 1750 with an onboard PERC4/Di card running RH AS 2.1 2.4.9-e.24, we have installed the RPMS for 2.4.9-e.38, amended lilo.conf and updated lilo.

Looking at /etc/modules.conf and the output from lsmod I can see that we are currently using megaraid_2002

When we rebooted we also got "kernel panic: no init found", I then had to talk an operator in the data centre through selecting the e24 kernel on the lilo screen.

So, from what I have read this indicates thar megaraid_2002 is not in the e38 kernel, yet if I look in '/lib/modules/2.4.9-e.38/kernel/drivers/addon' I can see both megaraid_2002 and megaraid2 are there.

Maybe I have a different issue ? Does anyone have any ideas ?

Should I still have run a mkinitrd first ?

Anyway, which driver should I be using ?

What is the naming convention for these megaraid drivers, megaraid_2002 sounds to me to be later than megaraid2, where are these documented ?

Apologies for all the ??

Regards,

Colin

---