Remote Console ERA PE2650

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Mon May 10 15:20:00 CDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Sean Bruno wrote:

> How do you get the remote console working when X is running?  I want the
> "text" console not the X server output on the console?

Control-Alt-F1 though Control-Alt-F6 take you to one of the six virtual consoles
running in text mode from X.  Once there, Alt-F7 will take you back to the
virtual console X is running on.

To prevent the box from ever starting in X at boot (the command startx
will start X once you are logged in), edit /etc/inittab and change
the line reading:
	id:5:initdefault:
to read
	id:3:initdefault:
This will change the default runlevel from 5 (muti-user boot with X) to 3
(muti-user boot).  To make the system switch into runlevel 3 use the
command "telinit 3"

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free