Apparent MegaMon memory problems with Debian

Seth Mos seth.mos at xs4all.nl
Mon May 10 12:02:07 CDT 2004

Charlie Orford wrote:

> Hello list,
> I think I may have identified a problem with the Debian port of MegaMon
> which appears to cause kernel memory allocation failures.

What kernel was this? Mine happend on 2.4.22 and up.

> After googling for some more information, I came across Seth's post to
> this list an, sure enough, as soon as we stopped and removed MegaMon the
> box has been fine. If we re-install MegaMon the same problem re-occurs.

A workaround for the monitoring issue is switching to the megaraid2
driver. The megaraid2 driver includes useful statistics in /proc which
can be used to monitor the raid.

Some shell script examples are found in the archive. The basic thought
behind the shell scripts is to diff the current /proc content against a
known good configuration.

> This is using megamon_3.6-1_i386.deb under Debian woody with kernel
> 2.4.25 on a PE650. We use a CERC raid controller in RAID1 mode.

My cerc config is the same, consisting of 2 80GB disks.

Cheers