Installing Red Hat 7.2 on a PowerEdge 1750

Tom Lesniak TLesniak at lyrix.com
Mon May 10 08:00:01 CDT 2004

Andy,

Sounds like we're in a similar situation having to run an outdated kernel
on new equipment because of software requirements. I'm also stuck running
RH7.2.  I managed to get 7.2 loaded on the 1750.  I ended up needing to
build a driver disk for a new version of the megaraid driver. I chose to go
with 1.18k (i believe it was the latest at the time). I had to modify the
code a little bit and change a line that said 'HIGHMEM_IO' to read
'CAN_DMA_32' (or vise-versa). I think I also might have had to completely
remove another line from the code. It just wouldn't compile for the
2.4.7-10BOOT kernel. but I believe it would for the 2.4.7-10 kernel. (it
was several months ago that I figured all of this out, so I could be
wrong). I don't know how stable the driver is on 2.4.7-10. I upgrade my
systems to 2.4.9-13 where I know that I did not need to remove the line
from the driver, I only had to change the 'highmem_io' line, and the driver
seems to work fine for me.

     - Tom

                    "Andy Hsu"
                    <ahsu at nobelglobe.com        To:     <linux-poweredge at dell.com>
                    >                           cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Installing Red Hat 7.2 on a PowerEdge 1750
                    linux-poweredge-admi
                    n at dell.com

                    05/07/2004 10:46 PM

Hello,

Have been at wits end trying to make this work.  RH 7.2 refuses to
recognize the onboard PERC4/DI controller configured with a RAID 5
container.  We need to use 7.2 due to a legacy in-house application that
has only been certified for use on this version.

On ftp://ftp.dell.com/scsi-raid/, I noticed drivers for several versions
of RH, but no 7.2.  Since AS 2.1 is based off of 7.2, I tried the drivers
for it (via "linux dd" during install), but came up empty.  I followed a
few threads, and people with similar issues are told to upgrade to newer
versions of the driver, etc., but while I have downloaded the source files
for the latest versions, I'm not familiar enough with compiling to know
what to do with them.

I know it's not a hardware issue because I can install RH AS 3.0 on the
machine with no problems at all.

Any help would be much appreciated!  Thank you for your time.