fdisk unable to read /dev/sdb

Chris_Purcell@Dell.com Chris_Purcell at Dell.com
Fri May 7 20:25:17 CDT 2004

Martha,

Is the driver for the PERC, to which the PowerVault is attached, loaded?
If not, you will need to load the driver, check that fdisk /dev/sdb (or
whatever) returns a valid disk, and then remake the initrd so that
driver loads consistently.
As well, you will want the driver for the PV's PERC to load after the
driver for the PERC to which the boot drives are attached.

Chris T. Purcell
Americas Enterprise Services
Linux and Novell Hardware Support
Tues-Sat 0600-1500
1-800-822-8965
	-----Original Message-----
	From: linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-admin at dell.com] On Behalf Of Martha Flugstad
	Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:40 AM
	To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
	Subject: fdisk unable to read /dev/sdb

	Hello,
	     I have installed Red Hat AS 2.1 on a Poweredge 250 with a
Powervault 220S attached.  The 220s has been configured as RAID 10.
However, when I tried to partition the logical drive on the RAID storage
with fdisk, I received the error "unable to read /dev/sdb".  Can anyone
help point me in the right direction?  Thanks for your help.

	Martha Flugstad
	Network Services
	Arkansas State University