Recreating the Utility Partition on a PE 2650

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon May 3 17:14:07 CDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Frank Louwers wrote:

> The Utility Partion got deleted on one of our Dell systems. I tried to
> recreate it by booting the Dell CD-ROM and selection "Create Utility
> Partition", but when I try to boot it, it just shows a "Starting MS-DOS"
> line, and then stops. When I mount that partition from a Linux system,
> the files seem to be there, so I guess it's the dos bootloader that's
> fubared. As the disk volume|container is on a Perc3 contoller, I can't
> grab a dos-floppy and issue a sys c: command.

hmm, puzzling. can you set the 'active' partition to the utility partition
via fdisk ?  why does the above dos floopy/sys option not work ? AFAIK
dos just sees luns on the perc3 as standard disks.

> Any clue how to recreate this partition (or where to download dos
> drivers for the perc or how to run certain tests without the utility
> partition)?

AFAIK the utility partition is there just to save some diagnostic time.

you should be able to run all the diag utilities directly by booting
off the cdrom.

i gave up putting the utility partition on a long time ago as we've almost
never needed to use anything in it.

regards,

-jason