Enterprise Mail Setup

Paul paul at kbs.net.au
Thu Mar 27 01:29:01 CST 2003

Hi All,

I am in charge of configuring and ordering a new server for an Enterprise
mail setup.
I need some advice and on ideas on what specs to go for and what hardware
I'd need.
Below is our current system and it's setup

The current system is a PE2550 with 4 x 36GB U160, 10000rpm in a RAID5 array
via Perc3Di.
The array is RAID5. Dual PII 1.3ghz 2GB of ram and the standard dell onboard
equipment. Gigabit etc...

The new server Im going to setup needs to be able to handle a huge spool.
ie: 250GB of storage.
It currently has 140,000 users approx popping and recieving mail via smtp.

Mail is spooled to /var/spool/mail/x/y/username in a double level hashing
setup.

Has anybody had experience in this type of setup. I need some specs or at
least some ideas on server equipment from dell.

The server I was thinking of would be:

Dual Xeon 2.4GHZ, 3GB of DDR RAM. A single 18GB mirror for the OS and
internal files (logs and db apps etc..) and then a PowerVault for the
external spool.
The PowerVault would need to do RAID5 for disk spool of say 250GB. The
PowerVault would need to be connected via the external SCSI port on the new
server.

Any advice or ideas would be grealty appreicated....

Regards,
Paul
paul at kbs.net.au