Disk performance figures on PE2650

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Wed Mar 26 08:05:01 CST 2003

I don't have any for PERC3/Di (Adaptec chipset) but I can tell you that
the PERC3/[QD]C (LSI chipset) are pretty abysmal compared to Linux
software RAID.

Basic tests (hdparm -t) for 7 disk HW v SW RAID0 (PERC3/QC v Linux RAID)
show almost a 50% increase in sequential read of 64MB file with SW RAID
(HW: 98MB/s SW: 138MB/s).

I am a firm believer in Linux software RAID.

We do have some test hardware with a Di in it.  When my co-worker gets
done using it, I'll put my Linux disk back in there and run some
bonnie++ tests on an 8 disk RAID10 on the Di and a RAID10 software array
to give you some data.

Talk to you later,
Andy.