RH 9.0?

Ben Russo Ben at umialumni.com
Tue Mar 25 10:56:01 CST 2003

IANAL, I don't work for RedHat, but IMHO... The way I see things.

RedHat was getting pressure from two sides,
on one side the desktop/end user community (and SOHO hackers)
that wanted the bleeding edge packages and ultimate features.

on the other side were companies like Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM, Oracle,
Veritas, BEA, etc....
that wanted a long release cycle with extensive QA and regression
testing on releases,
and a long support cycle.

So,  they split "RedHat Linux" into 2 seperate product lines, which have
only recently begun to gel
into a comprehensible plan.

    RedHat Enterprise Linux, which consists of 3 seperate sub-products
             AS  (Advanced Server)   x86 & Itanium support, SMP support,
Large RAM support
             ES ( ??Enhanced??Enterprise?? Server)  x86 support, up to 2
CPU's, up to 4GB RAM
             WS (WorkStation)  x86/Itanium support, up to 2 CPU's, up to
4GB RAM.
       right now these three sub-products are made of the same parts,
       AS consists of a set of RPM's and SRPM's (mostly identical to
RedHat 7.2)
       ES is a subset of the AS components (mostly everything except the
itanium kernels and
                the massive SMP kernels and the large RAM kernels).
       WS is a subset of ES, with the addition of itanium support from AS,
                the notable missing packages from WS are things like
BIND, DHCPD, and hardware drivers
                for things like SSL Accelerator cards and such that are
not generally found on workstation.

The Enterprise line of RedHat products will have a 12-18 month release
cycle,
and each release will have 5 years of errata support.    Hardware
vendors and Software vendors
can only get "Certification" for RedHat compatable products with the
RedHat Enterprise line of
products.  Also, RedHat is "copyrighting" their precompiled RPM's for
Enterprise products, you cannot
receive binary RPM's unless you purchase a license and you can't
redistribute RPM's that you download
via RHN using a licensed Enterprise product.  (However all SRPM's for
the RedHat Enterprise packages
are available for free from RedHat's FTP sites and it's mirrors.)
The big PUSH with the RedHat Enterprise products will be integrated
vendor support, companies like
IBM and HP/Compaq will be selling branded/pre-installed versions of
RedHat linux, some even bundled
with 3rd party software apps from Veritas and Oracle.  I asked my RedHat
sales rep and a sales engineer
why I should pay for an ES or AS subscription if WS had all the features
I needed, and they said,

    " Because if you use WS on a server hardware platform, or install
ISV server software, you will not get
       any contracted support from either the SW vendor, the HW vendor
or RedHat if you have problems."

Then there is the RedHat Linux line, which is the direct descendant of
RedHat 6.0-6.1-6.2-7.0-7.1-7.2-7.3-8.0
This is what RedHat is recommending for the SOHO user who doesn't need
to have "Certified" vendor support
This product line will have a faster release cycle (6-8 months) and will
only have 12 months of errata support
per release.

This product is "Free" both in the beer and the speech sense in that you
can download the iso's and copy
them and redistribute them as you see fit.  This product line has no
certification and is on a much more bleeding
edge software set.

IMHO, they changed the version number to 9 because binaries from 8 and 7
releases are not compatable.
(I have tried using my licensed copy of Crossover-Office on Phoebe RC3
and it didn't work. :-(   )
I think that other people have mentioned this as well, something about
NPTL and such...

The next release of RedHat Linux will probably be based on the 2.6 (or
will it be 3.0) kernel, and so it
also merits a revision number increase.

I think that releases like 7.2 --> 7.3 were correct in there version
cycles because they were really
99% compatable, just patches and bug fixes for the most part.

RedHat 8.0 had a whole new version of Gnome and KDE and Apache, and some
pretty major changes
in the admin tools and the OS configuration.

RedHat 9 is mostly binary incompatable with 8, not just for a joke, but
because of the NPTL support.

RedHat 10 will have a new kernel with a new memory management model and
a new scheduler and
many deprecated kernel interfaces will be wiped away.

These numbering schemes seem pretty reasonable to me....

-Ben.